Unit 25 Menu Planning and Product Development-Btechnd
One will undoubtedly gain from utilising a meal planner, if it is a prescribed in black and white or interrelated planner or merely hardly any notes jotted down on the reverse of a cover. By means of a small research, planning the meals beforehand can assist in saving time and wealth at the grocery store or as of rushing through the drive-thru at dine or lunch. Building up a meal plan is also useful for having a further nourishing, stable diet that comprises nutrient-rich foodstuffs from all of the five food clusters. One, who plans the meal well, can also manage the weight properly.
Task A: Produce a Research Report describing the factors influencing menu planning and menu product development processes
a) A discussion of the principles of recipe development
The recipe development is defined as experimentation with a variety of foods such as herbs, sauces etc. and making new recipes. The recipe developers can choose it as a profession as well. The principles of recipe development are:
- Accessibility : permutation of cereals with pulses and vegetables as in a meal is willingly acceptable, effortless to compose and offers a sense of contentment and richness to the producer. Salads and harmonizing food varieties achieve 90% whereas snacks and other nutritious recipes had achieved 89%.
- Nutritional Value : The recipe’s nutritive values, together with energy, iron, fat, protein, vitamins, calcium, are derived from the country-wise Food Composition and the Tables of Nutrient Composition of regional Food. The food has to be nutritionally balanced (Kivela, 2001).
- Food preparation techniques and cooking tips : Developing the aptitude and ability of the planters to endorse hygienic and well-cooked food in the diets has been a main constituent of the recipe development.
There is a simple principle- One should keep a note of the changes that are made in different recipes, and should keep the best one as a selected recipe for the future references.
b) An assessment of the factors that influence menu planning decisions
The factors that have effect on the menu planning decisions are:
- Location of the establishment: The menu has to be planned on the basis of the location of the functional area. For e.g.: In business areas the services need to be priced moderately and quickly operated. Similar is the case for road-side, motels/highway based menus. The vendor in the residential area has to build a family-appealing menu, both in terms of cost and ingredients.
- Type of customers: Kind of people in the area, their generation, sex, belief, livelihood, expenditure power also influences the menu. Individuals performing physical and laborious works need extra ample food as compared to the individuals who do secretarial job.
- Seasonal availability: Even though in these days of frozen storage elements of all are accessible however foodstuff in season should be incorporated in the menu.
- Accessibility of tools and ingredients in the kitchen: Menu has to be in compliance to the tools in the kitchen to prepare a dish. For e.g.: To make a grilled sandwich there is a need of griller, and similarly for the pasta salads, the sauces form a main part of the ingredients.
- Potential of kitchen and services personnel: Do not arrange for a sophisticated menu if it is the away from the capability of the cooks. There is also a way to pre pack the dishes and serve them as needed. For these the preparer or vendor has to have a fair idea of the expected demand of the food (Bowen and Morris, 1995).
- Leftovers in hand: It is in good health promotion to employ leftovers (of ingredients not cooked food) and recuperate little wealth or cost somewhat than ruining the food. Chefs talent is in altering residual to an innovative dish with the intention that consumer does not make out (Specialty of the day)
- Cost of the menu: The selling price of the menu must be reserved in mind in order that the cooking cost is easily managed.
- Policy of the business: Some organizations possibly will not supply exception foodstuffs due to their policy and business strategy for e.g.: pork, beef.
- Service hours: It is also one of the factors that influence the type of menu.
- Occasion: It is also a determinant for the choice of menu. For e.g.: Tea-party, marriage feast, birthday party etc.
c) A discussion of the factors that influence service methods
The service methods are mainly dependant on the size of the business. One can easily differentiate between the service methods of a small road-side restaurant as in comparison to the 5-star hotels.
It also is influenced by the nature of menu. If the menu is quiet extensive one, then the service will also need to be fast and up to the expectations of the customer, so that the business is either able to meet the current trends or even set a new trend for the industry.
The methods of delivery depend on the budget of the operations as well as its customers. In case of a budgeted hotel, the way of serving might not be highly impressive. However, the choice of service is also dependant on the customer’s budget.
The availability of the resources is also a factor that has a major impact on the service methods.
d) A discussion of the stages of the planning of menu product development
While planning for the menu product development, the first thing is idea (aim) that needs to be there and then the whole of the activities are aligned towards attainment of that goal. For this, there has to be SWOT analysis along with the study of the market trends with customer needs (Kim and Wilemon, 2002). The business has to decide on the kind of menu to be chosen. It can be a wide-ranged menu or a single cuisine menu. However, there have to be some specialities and various categories- buffets, ala carte, economy meals etc. After the menu is decided the resources are to be chosen with the cost, marketing techniques, development plans, management, cost allocation and the issues in the production process.
e) An evaluation of the influences on the development process
The influences on the development process are:
- Review of the business like changes in strategies and processes which are not beneficial for the business.
- The business sales volume also defines the processes of the business
- The expected and actual sales volume defines the selling price of the product.
- The cost and revenue generated are useful for defining the break-even quantity and price of the food offered.
- For the evaluation of the process it is necessary that there are comparisons among the forecasted quantity and the quantities sold.
Task B: Produce a Research Report presenting your findings and recommendations related to a food service environment and develop a new food service concept
a) A justification of the design of a menu taking into account the recipe development
Considering, Wimpy which is a large food chain in and out of UK, a franchise restaurant company with a blend of table facility and take-away arrangements in an area of approximately 165 locations in the UK. It is mainly a counter service, with hamburgers as its main product.
The restaurant has developed the early agenda of employment to reconsider 10 menu constituents to envelop all 50 and the FSA salt goals are currently a main aim inside Wimpy’s regular dealer reviews and inspections.
The restaurant has initiated additional than 10 new or reformulated central food articles that are lesser in salt as compared to the things they have reinstated. Out of the 50 chief (core) food constituents they currently have a sum of 31(62%) that are at or under the 2010 FSA objective for salt and 6 (12%) that are inside 10% of the intention salt outline.
The main customers are school/college students and fast food lovers. The customers prefer Wimpy’s restaurant as per the range of burgers that are offered at economical prices by the restaurant. After the entry of McDonalds, the sitting outlets have mainly transformed to the take-away outlets. The restaurants offer quick combo deals along with variety of Hamburgers. Once anyone opens up a Wimpy menu, there is a huge assortment of meal choices. Starting with burgers and seafood, wraps, mealtime to grills and toasted sandwiches to sweets and unbelievable coffees, the catalogue of preferences is nearly never-ending. All the outlets and franchises have got a prescribed uniform and dress for all the employees. The ambience is not only meant for the youngsters but also for the elderly people. It is a family restaurant that introduced 5 kinds of salads initially and now offers power meals and jacket potatoes. The restaurant service has included its calories value to the menu, so that the customers can easily choose their foodstuff (Sunley, 2000).
b) A justification of the development of the food service environment to support the menu, recipe and service style
Established in 1954, Wimpy has turned out to be a symbolic British trademark, taking pleasure in outstanding service and immense superiority, freshly prepared foodstuff in a pleasant atmosphere.By means of 180 eateries all over the UK in High Streets, amusement joints and Motorway Service Areas, the Wimpy practice is at the head of individuals’ intellects. Wimpy is a branded, quick laid-back eatery business scheme, providing worth for capital creations of a reliable excellence. While the business concentrates in burgers, brunches and brews it as well present a widespread assortment of meals to provide for each flavour.
Branded tableware and crockery is utilised, building Wimpy be prominent as a full-service eating place. An extensive menu is proposed together with supper, sweets, eminence coffee and for sure, their well-known 100% beef hamburgers of Wimpy. Each and every meal is freshly prepared to individual order. Carry away provision is too presented from these openings. The smooth flavour of Wimpy Premium Blend coffee depicts a broad variety of clients as it maintains the guarantee of its persuading fragrance.
Wimpy outlet that we have referred is located inside the Halton Lea Shopping Centre and gains as of a broad array of harmonizing trades surrounded by the immediate neighbourhood. Being situated inside a shopping centre, appends a swarm of advantages not slightest; soaring footfall. The outlet is in the region of Halton and province of Cheshire in the region of 1 mile as of Widnes, 13 miles from Liverpool and 18 miles from Chester. It is rightly linked by the thoroughfare system and possesses a crowd of community transport links as well.
As mentioned above, the company is outlet preferably situated inside the Halton Lea shopping centre, gaining as of sufficient short-lived deal and repeat clients. The eatery gains from 62 envelop (Verbeke, 2004). On entrance, the eating place is open sketch with allocation and cooking region on the left and sitting room to the right side and back of the serving region. In the direction of the back of the places there is an undersized workplace and reserve storeroom area with purchaser round the corner. The trade advantages as of every one of the likely utensils for instance Griddle, bank of fryers, coffee apparatus dish-cleanser, refrigerators and chillers. The locations are put on more or less 16.7m x 5.2m and gains from unbelievable indication into the shopping hub. (also See Unit 32 Quality Management Assignment)
The working hours of Wimpy’s outlet is dependant closely on the shopping centre, which is operational from 9am to 5.30pm Monday to Thursday and Saturday, 9am to 8pm on Friday and 9am to 5pm on Sunday. The Wimpy business in this locality presently operates Monday – Saturday 9am to 5pm and Sunday 9am – 3pm.
The mentioned outlet is at present proprietor run and supervised through 3 amateur and 4 full time staff employees by a salary bill of roughly £4,800 for every month.Order Now